Firey, sweet, tangy… this is everything you want from a bar snack and SO much MORE!!!!
Ok, so it’s one of my “nostalgia” snacks… again.. taking me back to my young, free and single days, hanging around the Bangalore club on a balmy evening, sun setting, cold beer and THESE oh-so-spicy peanuts in front of me… they are just TOO special…
These are a perfect start to a fun, summer evening… bare in mind the spice quotient here… I like these extra chilli… because I can take it, however, for guests, and my own husband, I would seriously go down on the chilli… you could always add more once they’ve tried it and ask you to show you how it’s REALLY done! ,)
I picked this tray up from an Indian restaurant in Stockholm!!! I saw it on the counter, they were using them for service so I stopped the harried waitress in her tracks to ask her if they happen to sell these delightful trays and she said YES!! ALWAYS ask is my motto!!!
Ok, so coming back to these humble peanuts… there’s no proper way to cut things up here… just roughly chop and throw them all together in a pan…dry roasting the peanuts before you chuck in the onions, coriander, chilli powder, salt and lemon… and that’s it!
Masala Peanuts, Bangalore style!!
- 2 cups red skin peanuts
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped, stems and all
- 1-2 tablespoons red chilli powder ( optional)
- salt to taste
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- In a medium non stick pan, dry roast your peanuts to release the aromas. You could add a teaspoon of oil as I did
- Add a little salt and then add the onions. Allow them to soften and then turn off the heat.
- Add the coriander, chilli powder if using and more salt at this stage. Stir to combine and then add the lemon juice.Taste to check seasoning.
- Serve warm with chilled glasses of beer!